Wieland Builders was built on hard work, dependability, honesty, quality and family values. As third-generation home builders, our owners, Mike and Jeff Wieland, oversee and accept nothing less than the best from everyone that touches our customer’s home, including our trade partners. We work with a fantastic group of these trade partners and would like for you to get to know them better and to get their expert tips for your home, starting with our lighting partner, Lighting EFX.
Lighting EFX is a family-owned and operated business since 1993 owned by Todd McKinley. On any given day you will see Todd and his father, Rod, working together in their showroom on Voice of America Drive in West Chester, or at the showroom/warehouse in Florence, Kentucky. The company offers interior and exterior lighting, under-cabinet lighting, table lamps, mirrors and accessories.
Wieland Builders’ owners and our in-house interior designer, Robyn Howser, work closely with Lighting EFX’s lighting designer, Lisa Abraham, to ensure our custom homes have the proper sizing and style of lighting. “Mistakes in size and style is one of the biggest mistakes I see in lighting,” said Lisa. “Good lighting is truly everything. Lighting affects the ambiance and mood of a space – get it right and the whole look of your interiors will improve. Robyn is meticulous and pays close attention to every detail. She communicates well with all parties and has everything signed off on and ready to go so the building process is smooth and seamless.”
Lisa and the team at Lighting EFX are pros, so we asked them to share 5 tips to consider when choosing lighting for a custom home:
1. Begin your lighting plan and selections early on. When building a new home there are many design decisions to be made and lighting is an important design element that takes time. You don’t want to be in a position where you need to hurry up and just get something.
2. Look through our website ahead of time, before the first selection meeting and start a wish list. This helps everyone involved get an idea of your likes on style and finishes. Inspiration photos are also helpful. Wieland Builders’ Pinterest boards also showcase many rooms to help spur your imagination.
3. Select a “wow” factor lighting fixture, but just one. Too many can be overkill.
4. Size and scale of the light fixture to the room is important. If in question go bigger.
5. Don’t get too hung up on finishes. It will be OK if your bathroom faucet is not the exact color of your lighting fixture. We are seeing a lot of blending of finishes and mixing metals.
Lighting Trends for 2020
Lisa says multiple port chandeliers in a high-ceiling foyer or stairwell is on an uptrend. “I think antique brass is making a comeback. Bohemian charm is becoming more popular in pendants of all sizes made of rattan or other natural fibers. The classic industrial vibe is also something I think we will be seeing a lot more of. The modern farmhouse look will be around for a while. I think we will also be seeing more interesting light bulbs and lots of LEDs.”
Whether you decide to implement a trend or choose a classic style, selecting the proper lighting is a big decision, and Robyn and Lisa will be there to guide you. “Lighting offers up an opportunity to put the finishing touches on a space in one fell swoop,” says Lisa. “Need a pop of color? Looking for more texture? Is the room feeling too casual? Opt for a light that not only brightens up your space but also balances out of the design.”
Ready to learn more? Call us for your free consultation at 513-801-0860 or contact us via our website. For more great tips and our latest updates, check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Instagram, LinkedIn and Pinterest.